Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Body Assignment Part 1

After our class discussion today, our group decided to move back to the vocabulary that we had been exploring with the cloth circles. We were all really excited about that as a material, and the concept we had been previously working with seemed difficult to complete in the time limit and wasn't really coming together cohesively. We're still playing with the materials, though, which is something I think we needed to do a lot more of earlier in the project, but it's definitely better late than never. My own personal exploration is with the little gold octagonal caps. I've found that they fit together to create a perfect sphere if you line up the sides, leaving squares in between each group of four octagons. I think it would be cool to make a sort of helmet by hanging a sphere made out of these from the ceiling. There would be a hole in the bottom large enough for a person to fit their head through. I think the reflectiveness of the gold finish and the geometry of the interior would create a really interesting immersive experience by diffracting the light that would come into the space through the square holes. I'm not sure how to expand on this concept though. I'll be curious to see what we decide on as a group for our final project, but I think the exploration we're doing now is a lot more productive than when we were trying to force a concept with a vocabulary we didn't quite understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment