Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Furniture Project

I really enjoyed the furniture project. For how little time I actually had to create my piece, I thought it turned out pretty well. I liked the idea of playing with dimensionality, so I created my three-dimensional bookshelf by making two-dimensional frames out of the wood that I stacked on top of each other and screwed together. There were two different frames, which I think made the design a little more interesting as it broke up the space in a neat, linear way, so that the shelves were composed of slats with space in between. I thought it was a good introduction to furniture making, and I enjoyed working with wood as a material. There was something very satisfying and solid about the final product. In critique, other people mentioned turning it different ways, which is something I'd really like to explore. I think if I were to expand on the concept I would try making something that extends to different depths and would be more versatile in the ways in which it can be oriented while maintaining it's basic functionality as a storage unit. I think there are a lot of untapped sculptural possibilities with my design that I'd like to explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment